IKKYO NO KATA A (Receiving Techniques)
This kata comprises 18 techniques. It demonstrates and helps train the jujutsuka in the principles of distance fighting by combining Initial Strategic Responses with Moving In and Following-Through techniques that help control, discourage or terminate Uke's ability to continue the action.
The Strategic Responses employed in this kata focus on Blocking, Deflecting, Evading or Joining principles only. More advanced responses involving interceptions, first strike, deception and countering are discussed at a higher level of training.
NOTE: All descriptions are for right side attacks. However, to develop effective distance fighting skills these techniques must be mastered on both sides
8. Knife thrust to stomach into Kote Hineri from double arm block with follow-through (Block)
9. Uke punches Tori in stomach region (seiken uchi). Tori delivers hard Gedan Barai with right forearm with follow-through (Deflection)
10. Uke delivers front kick to Tori's stomach region (mae geri). Tori deflects inwards and upwards with left forearm and pushes Uke back and down to the ground using Oshi Taoshi (Deflection)
11. Uke delivers side kick (yoko geri) to stomach. Tori evades by stepping in clockwise with left foot and traps Uke's right ankle in own left bicep and elbow area (coming up from below). Tori then applies two hand ankle lock which causes Uke to rotate and end up face down on the ground. Tori applies knee lock (Kuzure Hiza Gatame)) to Uke's right knee from rear using left forearm as fulcrum (Evasion)
12. Uke delivers roundhouse kick (mawashi geri) to Tori's rib cage. Tori steps in with right foot blocks kick with bicep and side region and executes Kosotogake. Follows through to the ground (Block)
Gedan Attacks (below waist)
Gedan Attacks (below waist)
14. Uke delivers roundhouse kick with right leg (gedan mawashi geri) to Tori's knee. Tori jumps up and delivers Mae Geri to Uke's kidney region and then moves in (Evasion)
15. Uke delivers roundhouse kick with right leg to Tori's lower leg (below knee). Tori picks up targeted leg, evades kick and deliver Seiken Uchi to Uke’s kidney area/side with own right fist and moves in (Evasion)
16. Uke delivers roundhouse kick to Tori's thigh region. Tori bends and draws up own leg and receives blow on left thigh. Tori then steps in with left and delivers Mawashi Geri with own right shin to Uke's supporting leg (about the knee) (Block)17. Uke delivers front kick (mae geri) to Tori's groin. Tori deflects Uke's leg with right forearm (inward) and at same time seizes Uke's right leg with left arm while stepping in with right foot. Tori then executes Ouchi Gari and follows through to the ground with knee lock (Deflection)
18. Uke delivers side kick to Tori's groin (yoko geri). Tori takes one small step back with right foot and deflects hard with right forearm downward and inward using Gedan Barai. Moves in, stomps on Uke's left leg just below rear of left knee with own right foot (Yoko Geri) and applies Hadaka Jime while pinning Uke's left knee to ground with right foot. (Deflection)